Friday, October 12, 2012

21_Losing It

As part of the Fall of Awesome, my monthly goal in this, the tenth month of the year, is to lose ten pounds.  That seems entirely realistic, which means that I am going to, very unrealistically, aim to lose more.  Because I can be an over-achiever when I want to be.

So far I've lost one pound.  Winning.

And regardless of the marginal loss, I do feel lighter.  I know that there have been varying reports on whether exercise actually improves your mental health (most sources say yes, Vice magazine says no, so in my sphere of influence, this is a hotly contested debate), but it's certainly helped me.  The Orioles still being in the series also helps.

There's something about the chill in the air as well.  The temperature in Baltimore at the end of October tend to represent the coldest it ever gets in South Africa.   Yes, it can snow there, but it is rare (you should have seen my facebook feed when it snowed in Johannesburg earlier this year) and the temperatures don't stay cold for long.  But here, once that October breeze starts to blow, you can kiss your air conditioning goodbye, because it's not going to be needed again for at least six months.

It's a reminder that I am here, not there.  That that was before, not now.  It's another reason I feel lighter.  That happened, and I helped it happen, but it is in the past now for me to look back on, think on, and hopefully gain something from, but it is, primarily, in the past.

Now I can concentrate on my new love:  a new writing project involving dissent against a military bureaucracy that aims to take control of all facets of American life, a doomed love affair and, of course, robots using car batteries to get high.  Duh.

- Kid

No comments:

Post a Comment