Tuesday, April 3, 2012

06_Challenges of All Kinds

Last week's One Week Challenge ended in an Epic Win.  I went vegetarian for the week and not only did I hold to it, but I realized that I don't really miss eating meat.  Sure, if my mom makes meatloaf or gets some Italian sausage from Mastellone's, I'm not gonna say no.  That would be stupid.  But am I going to go out and order the steak dinner over the veggie pasta just for the sake of it?  No.

This week is a bit more to the point:
 - Write every day
 - Work out every day.

As far as working out goes, thanks to my parents I now have awesome new running shoes and my dad keeps sending me sign ups for 5 and 10k runs that are happening in like, two days.  If I can make it 1k right now, I'd be happy.  Next year, dad.

As far as writing goes, I'm on my own.  I have taken a few baby steps.  No longer is my homepage a blog devoted to awesome Lego sculptures, but rather one of my old-time favorites:  The Intern Spills.  See?  I'm wasting my time online with Writing Stuff.  Not just...Stuff.  Improvement, no?

I suppose the biggest problem with this side of the challenge is the "So What?" factor.  Say I sit and manage to write for three hours straight every day this week.  What will that really accomplish?  Sure I might shore up a story or two, yes I might FINALLY get around to changing that damned comma that's been bugging me in paragraph two, but I might also spend three hours writing about this really weird dream I had where I so impressed Gordon Ramsay with my skills as a waiter that he immediately put me on the schedule and gave me $9956 dollars.  (True story and yes, the amount was that specific.  Dreams are weird.)  That might not exactly win me a Pulitzer.  And if it did, I'm not sure I'd want the award...

I think I need to come up with something of a bit more solid goal next week.  You're all writers.  If there's one thing that you think a writer should do daily that would make them more productive in an overall sense, what would it be?

- Kid

2 comments:

  1. For a while I made myself write down one thing I had seen during the day that could make a story. This meant, for me, not just observations but pieces of narrative. A beginning-and-middle or middle-and-end, at least, of not the full B-M-E that makes for a full story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one. I'll have to keep it on file, maybe for next week. Thanks!

    - Kid

    ReplyDelete